Dr. Seuss has a fabulous story that I just love, "Oh the Places You'll Go." Here are some of the first verses...
"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go."
Man I just love that! If it's to be, it's up to me.

In the last few days it has, once again, become apparent to me that my focus is out of sync. Not quite sure what our dreams are these days, but it seems as though we're heading full speed ahead to accomplish them. Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming. It's so easy for those great thoughts above, both from Dr. Seuss and my family, to get out of whack
Those thoughts should not translate to "I have to accomplish everything and do it all today." In addition, our dreams and visions for our future really need to be channeled though our best friend, Jesus. After all, Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." It doesn't say "I don't need anyone or anything to help me do it all."
Our family "irons in the fire" include: two full time careers, two households in two separate parts of the country, two 16mo little girls that we just can't get enough of, and two yellow labs that deserve our love & attention. That's the macro view. Micro view includes things like maintaining a social life - in two locations, paying bills, yard work, home improvement projects, extended family that we love, bettering our own health. Oh ya... don't forget that ever important relationship with our best friend Jesus. Oh ya... and please don't forget how important it is to invest in our marriage. Whew!!
OK - inhale in and count to five... exhale out and count to five.
Last week, during a moment of overload, I very clearly let God know... "I CAN'T DO IT ALL!!!" And he very quietly whispered... "Just relax. I've got it." To which I responded... "I NEED HELP!!" And once again, he whispered, "I know. I've got it covered."
God is good all the time. My job is to seek him passionately and first. First before packing for DC, first before organizing the closet, first before running errands or producing at work... He has my back and if I will seek him, then together, we can accomplish things once thought unattainable!
So it's time to inhale in and count to five... exhale out and count to five. Repeat. Be still and just let my heart's desires be known. Then we can launch to those Great Places We'll Go!!
Amen and amen.


No comments:
Post a Comment